India Largest Mobile Advertising Market in Asia Pacific
Mobile advertising is a form of advertising via mobile (wireless) phones or other mobile devices. It is a subset of mobile marketing.
Mobile advertising target users according to specified demographics. Mobile networks related mobile profiles and preferences and displays corresponding advertisements when consumers download and uses data services like games, application (apps) or ring tones.
Mobile advertising can be done in the following ways:
- Mobile web: Text tagline ads, mobile web banner ads, WAP 1.0 banner ads, rich media mobile ads.
- Multimedia Messaging Service: short text ads, long text ads, banner ads, rectangle ads, audio ads, video ads, full ads.
- Mobile video and TV Advertising units: Ad breaks, linear ad breaks, nonlinear ad breaks, interactive mobile video and TV ads.
- Mobile Application: In- app display advertising units, integrated ads, branded mobile applications, sponsored mobile applications.
According to the Telecom Regulatory Authority of India (TRAI) there are more than 850 million mobile phone subscribers in India. This is more than 70 per cent penetration rate for the country. The world’s largest independent mobile ad network in the Asia Pacific region with 5.8 billion impressions monthly. The Indian mobile advertising market continues to show rapid growth due to the improving ad ecosystem. Major publishers are bringing their media into the mobile channel while brands are simultaneously discovering the power of mobile advertising.
Eight other markets in Asia-Pacific managed to make it into Top 25 the list with Japan at 7th, Australia at 10th, Vietnam at 11th, China at 14th while Singapore, Malaysia, the Philippines and South Korea were placed 19th, 21st, 23rd and 25th. It said that the market is expected to grow to $41.9 billion by 2017 and that display formats will make up most of the revenue, but video will show the highest growth. The Indian mobile advertising market is constantly showing rapid growth as a result of the improving ad ecosystem.
India is still in a nascent stage of mobile advertising with less than one percent market share. Media consumption is higher on other platforms. However with the large size of the market coupled with growing mobile penetration, India is considered to be one of the largest markets by global mobile internet advertising players.
Reasons behind the growth
The reasons behind the mobile market growth in India are external to the advertising environment. Since the handsets are cheaper, they are more accessible now. Another reason for growth is the introduction of mobile data plans, which have allowed access to Internet on-the-go. The result of these factors is that now mobile is seen as a media device, besides being seeing as a communication device only. It is not only used for connecting and talking to people, but also for checking emails and news content, social media and other services.
Further to these external changes happening on the consumer’s side, the advertisers have also found avenues to invest in mobile. Five years ago, though there was excitement about the medium, there were not as many avenues as there are now. The mobile advertising market has evolved from a stage of mobile Internet being used for email access, to being used for social, to now being used for accessing various kinds of content – from news to sports to games. We are now choosing to use a mobile phone to get instant access to the content, also because of better connectivity.
Biggest advertisers in India in mobile media
One of the largest sectors in mobile media advertising is the automobile industry – with brands such as Maruti, Honda and Yamaha engaging in mobile. FMCG brands such as Unilever, PepsiCo and Coca Cola, and telecom advertisers such as Nokia, Karbonn, and Micromax, follow the automobile industry.
The top five spending brands in India in the mobile advertising industry are Maruti Suzuki, Nokia, PepsiCo, Coca Cola and Unilever.
List of top mobile advertising companies operating successfully in India.
- Core Business: InMobi is a performance based mobile ad network backed by Soft Bank and Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers.
- Year of Establishment & Founders: founded in 2007 by Naveen Tewari, an IIT-Kanpur alumnus, together with three other IIT alumni.
- Website: www.inmobi.com
- InMobi, the world’s largest independent mobile advertising in Banglore. It now reaches million active users per month through their mobile devices, providing advertisers with the largest global reach, after Facebook. InMobi has technology that allows firms to create advertisements for mobile devices, and then push those ads to the right people at the right time. InMobi had 691 million monthly unique users, with 156 million coming from the US, followed by China (63 million) and India (49 million).
- Core Business: Classified Ads, Yellow Pages and B2B
- Year of Establishment & Founders: Founded in 1998 by Mr Satya Prabhakar
- Alexa Rank: 719 in world, 66 in India
- Website: www.sulekha.com/adnetwork
2. Sulekha Ad Networks
Sulekha is number one mobile advertising company in India. If you know, it has over 1400 employees and it operates in 11 cities. Sulekha has also presence in USA, UK and China also. Sulekha is best for putting classified ads like Selling & Buying properties, cars etc. Sulekha controls more than 10% of Indian online ad market.
3. Komli Media
- Core Business: Digital Advertising- Komli Engage, Komli Mobile, Komli ROI and Komli Play
- Year of Establishment & Founders: Came into existence in the year 2006, Amar Goel is the founder & Chairman of the company
- Alexa Rank: 6885 in world, 586 in India
- Website: www.komli.com
Komli Media has developed most sophisticated technology called ATOM. ATOM provides access to over 10 Billion ad impressions per month and 90% reach out to India’s online audience.
Moreover, ATOM technology covers thousands of publishers in India. Komli helped Tata Nano to increase its sales. Recently Komli Media raised $30 million to strengthen its position in Asia.
- Core Business: Online Solutions – Branding & Performance, Mobile Advertising Solutions
- Year of Establishment & Founders: Viraj Malik and Daman Soni are the founders of Ad Chakra.
- Alexa Rank: 10, 190 in world, 716 in India
- Website: www.adchakra.net
Ad Chakra is perfect for advertising on platforms like mobile, search and social media. As a customer you could also choose metrics like CPM, CPA etc
Some of the major clients of AdChakra are Canon, Acer, Airtel, Wipro, HDFC Bank, Make My Trip, FedEx, The Times ofIndia, One India etc.
Ad Chakra got Deloitte Technology Fast 50 in 2010.
5. NetworkPlay Media Pvt Ltd
- Core Business: Branding, CPA, CPL, Audience Targeting, Social Media, Search Retargeting
- Year of Establishment & Founders: Networkplay was acquired in 2012 by Gruner and Jahr. Earlier in 2008 it was incubated by Webchutney and funded by Capital 18.
- Alexa Rank: 36, 528 in World, 2594 in India
- Website: www.networkplay.in
NetworkPlay has an impact across 500+ publishers on the web. Some of the clients are MakeMyTrip, Yatra, Jet Airways, BookMyShow, LinkedIn etc.
It was awarded most innovative Start Up of the year in 2010.
- Core Business: Brand Advertising, Lead based Advertising
- Year of Establishment & Founders: Tyroo was incubated by Delhi based digital media companycalled Smile Interactive Technologies Group.
- Alexa Rank: 40, 354 in US, 4819 in India
- Website: www.tyroo.com
Tyroo has a reach of over 3.5 billion ad impressions per month. It has a strong network of at least 3000 publishers like Facebook, About.com, Microsoft, Pepsi, ICICI, Yahoo etc.
Some of the major clients of Tyroo are naukri.com, monster India, TimesJobs, Shine.com, Shaadi.com, Jeevansathi.com, bharatMatrimony.com, SimplyMarry.com, Myntra.com, Expedia, Cleartrip, Google, SnapDeal, Groupon etc.
- Core Business: Mobile Ad Platform for mobile publishers and app developers. Mobile Ads Optimization, AdIQuity Plus, RTB exchange, Saas based Mobile Ad Server are some of its solutions
- Year of Establishment & Founders: Mr Anurag Dod is the founder and CEO of the company, it was founded in 2006
- Alexa Rank: 39,216 around the world, 6863 in India
- Website: www.adiquity.com
AdIQuity has over 16 billion ad requests per month. The company has over 10,000 publishers & Developers and over 70 mobile networks as its partners.
Some of the major clients are Air Asia, Toyota, ICICI bank, Samsung, Dell, HP, Mahindra, Fastrack, Lifestyle etc
The company has offices in Bangalore, New Delhi and Singapore also.
- Core Business: An Ad Network aggregator helping in managing different ad networks and maximizing the revenue.
- Year of Establishment & Founders: Rajiv Goel and Anand Das both founded the company in Year 2006.
- Alexa Rank: 19,848 around the world, 6391 in US
- Website: www.pubmatic.com
If you know PubMatic is a service offered by Komli Media.
PubMatic also received $13 million in venture round funding in 2014. Earlier also in 2012 it received funding of whopping $45 million.
9. Dgm India
- Core Business: Dgm has two main products one is dgPerform and other is dgmatrix.
- Year of Establishment & Founders: Dgm India is held by Anurag Gupta’s Inflection Digital Holdings and Smile Vun Group.
- Alexa Rank: 76,095 in world and 7381 in India
- Website: www.dgm-india.com
Dgm is subsidiary of Deal Group Media and they are leaders in CPA business.
Dgm has over 300 clients and some of them are Reliance, Dell, NIIT, Disney, Citibank, Bajaj Allianz, Ford etc.
10. Ozone Media
- Core Business: Adadyn – Dynamic Creative Optimizatio, it increases CTR to 300% and Smarton – A dynamic retargeting solution.
- Year of Establishment & Founders: Kiran Gopinath is the founder and CEO of the company. He founded Ozone Media in 2006
- Alexa Rank: 47,905 in world and 11,649 in India
- Website: www.ozonemedia.com
Ozone media uses Accipiter’s AdManager with geo-targeting features that targets different countries and audiences.
Ozone Media has a team of over 70 people and headquartered in Bangalore and an office in New Jersey also. Some of its big clients are Audi, Ford, Nokia, CitiBank, Yahoo etc
- Core Business: Running branding and Performance oriented ad campaigns.
- Year of Establishment & Founders: Xapads was founded in April 2008 by Nitin Gupta
- Alexa Rank: 82, 417 in world and 13, 118 in India
- Website: www.xapads.com
Xapads is a great alternative to Google Adsense when it comes to content targeted advertisements.
Xapads has a network of 3500+ publishers with 50 million unique visitors in 170 countries.
So these were the list of top 10 mobile advertising companies in India.
Latest posts by Nitika Sethi (see all)
- India Largest Mobile Advertising Market in Asia Pacific - February 23, 2014
- InMobi Second to Facebook in Global Reach - February 21, 2014
- Indians Holding Top Positions At MultiNational Companies - February 18, 2014
- Instagram Users Meeting Up At InstaMeets - February 11, 2014