Twitter has announced update to its apps for iOS and Android as well as for TweetDeck. The major redesign has been in works for a while and this update marks changes in way we treat direct messages. Here are the major changes:
- Now, you can share and view photos via direct message (DM) on your mobile phone.
- Also, introduced is a new tab in the navigation bar that makes it easy to access DM.
- You can also access tweets from people you follow and near you directly from search results and you can also choose to view replies, re-tweets and favorites only from people you follow.
- Another change is in the way you move between timelines, now you can swipe to move from your home timeline to Discover timeline and then again to your activity page.
- On Twitter for iOS, new in-app notifications show you when people send you a DM, favorite, re-tweet or reply to your tweets.
- On Android version you can easily turn-on mobile notification for specific users by tapping on the star on their profile.
These new changes mark the move towards messaging apps like snapchat, whatsapp ; the DM function is already used heavily by users and won’t be a surprise if it is now used as a private communication channel by majority of users.